Don's 2018 gaming review

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by Donald Draper, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Donald Draper

Donald Draper Well-Known Forum Member

At the end of last year, I decided to screenshot my Steam library sorted by playtime. So here's what I played this year, and my thoughts on the various games.

PUBG - 560 hours played

You know what PUBG is, and you either like it or you don't. I happen to like it. A lot. I think the highlight of the year was a duo chicken dinner I won with Lousy. We had nine kills as a team. Who came in #22 that round? Some scrubs named chocoTaco and I_Am_Swagger (although, in their defense, they did get 11 kills).

That fact is courtesy pubg.op.gg, which is one of may interesting sites that tracks a shitload of player data. New stuff is coming out all the time, and for stat nerds there is a lot out there to digest.

TF2 - 41 hours played

In previous years there were probably weeks that I played more than 41 hours of TF2. Logging that few hours over a year tells you my interests have shifted a bit. It's still fun, but the stars have to align to get me in game. On a related note, let me know if you're interested in HR!

Bioshock Infinite - 22 hours played
    DOOM - 11 hours played

I was obviously late to the game on both of these. Good games, although I don't think Bioshock has aged well. I'm a little surprised I don't have more time in DOOM, that game is fun as hell. Literally. Well, wait. Hell isn't literally fun, but there are fun elements of hell in DOOM. Not sure the correct word to use here. Moving on...

20XX - 7 hours played

This is a fun time killer. If you enjoyed Mega Man and the like, it's a solid 2d platformer.

Okami - 2 hours played

I had wanted to play this for years, back from when it was on Wii. Maybe should have played it then. It looks good, but it is a game that would have kept my attention years ago. Not now.

Batman Arkham Origins - 3.8 hours played
    Rise of the Tomb Raider - 2.1 hours played
    Max Payne 3 - 1.6 hours played
    Skyrim - 1.4 hours played

I bought a Steam Controller during the summer sale, and these are the games I tried it on. I don't have any previous time on Batman or Tomb Raider, and only an hour each or so on Max Payne and Skyrim. I'm sure I'll play more Batman and Tomb Raider, they both seem like solid entries in series I like. Max Payne just doesn't seem that fun, and I beat MP 1 and 2 numerous times on the XBox. Skyrim....I don't have the bandwidth to take on these sorts of epic quests anymore. Feels more like work than fun.

Dirt 3 - 0.7 hours played

I raced one night with Lousy and Alain. We haven't fired it back up again, which probably tells you something.

So there you have it. All told I played about 650 hours on Steam this year. I played a bit outside, but not much. Less than five hours of Fortnite (enough to confirm I don't like it), about two hours of AC Odyssey courtesy of Google's streaming service (much like Skyrim, feels too much like work than fun), and maybe a round or two of Overwatch (always fun if you have a good crew, but can't keep up with all the new characters).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

- Mr. Draper

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Forum Member

Cool idea, Don.
    I didn't screenshot my library, but I'm still able to get a sense of my playtime as I don't tend to play games for more than a year (TF2 being the exception here).

PUBG - 439 hours
    And yet I still play like a complete noob.

Team Fortress 2 - 40 hours?

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 32 hours
    Fun game, but a little too corny/weeaboo-y for my taste. I idled a lot so I think actual playtime was closer to 25 hours.

The Witness - 27 hours
    Excellent puzzle game. Highly recommended.

Sonic Mania - 5 hours
    Scratched that retro Sonic itch I was having. Sega never should have deviated from the 2D style.

Golf With Your Friends - 17 minutes
    Seems fun. Wish I had friends.

Stick Fight: The Game - 15 minutes
    Fun, but the novelty wore off pretty quick.

3. lousypirate

lousypirate Cheese

I still love racing games, but I do not like playing without a throttle and steering control that is scale-able. rapidly tapping on keys to try to get minute steering changes or part throttle is horrific.

Good thing I won a steering wheel and pedal set for $1 at my local auction house. just gotta pick it up sometime.

trizznut and Dstraktd like this.