Google project stream

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by Donald Draper, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Donald Draper

Donald Draper Well-Known Forum Member

Google is currently testing online game streaming. You can read about it here, as well as sign up for an invitation to the beta.

I signed up for the beta a few months ago, and finally got an invite last week. The beta allows me to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey as much as I want until next January. I've put in a few hours, and here are my initial thoughts.

Overall, I think the technology is great. I can stream the game from any PC with Chrome (doesn't work on tablets/phones yet). So, theoretically, I could play at work. Or I could play on a complete POS laptop. So long as the connection is good, the game seems smooth.

I've got Google Fiber at my house. I only have the 100 mb/s service, as I have no need for full gigabit. On my internet, the game streams beautifully. I didn't notice any pixelation or other artifacts. That said, I don't know how the visuals would compare if it were installed on my computer. Google Stream doesn't give you any video options - can't set resolution, detail, nothing. And I have no way to tell how many FPS I'm getting. I haven't seen any tearing or lags on my 60 hz monitor, so I suppose it's OK.

The game instantly recognized my wireless XBox 360 controller, no additional setup required. The game controls well with either mouse/kb or controller. I've tried to do things that would show lag, and I think I've found a few. If I hammer the crouch button quickly, the character will never crouch. Similarly, pressing the button to switch between sword and torch too quickly can result in no change. Again, I can't say how it would behave on a local install, but it seems that there are some button presses that go unrecognized.

I haven't put in much time, maybe an hour or two. I'm not overly impressed with the game so far (but, then again, this is my first time playing an AC game). But the technology is there, this could definitely be the wave of the future. I wouldn't want to play a twitch FPS this way, but for platformers and other less ping dependent games it should be just fine.

If you consider the cost of keeping a decent gaming rig up to date, as well as the cost of games, it could definitely make financial sense to pay for a Netflix-like game streaming service.

I think I've rambled enough. You should all try to get in on the beta and try it yourself.

PongQ and Thor The Pink like this.
  2. Thor The Pink

Thor The Pink One hammer Two hammer Three hammer THOR!

Non local computing has been talked about for years in gaming. Nice to see someone trying it in the real world. I doubt it will ever become a common thing, light just does not travel that fast. Real hard limit for ping is 93 miles per 1 ms and we will never get close to that.

PongQ and Donald Draper like this.
  3. alainreid

alainreid Active Forum Member

I've been using a similar service called GForce Now & have found another practical use: inventory management. You could turn your tf2 weapons into refined metal while on the toilet.

Thor: quantum pairing. Seriously though, I'd bet that the latency is similar to what console players experience playing on random large flat screens. Many sets offer as high as 20ms response times.

4. Thor The Pink

All that fun quantum stuff does not break causality. They can't transfer information faster than light. Mmmk Just ask bob and allice.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    ceezyr likes this.
  5. Dstraktd

Dstraktd Adminstigator Staff Member

All this science is giving me wood.

Thor The Pink likes this.
  6. alainreid

7. Thor The Pink

They get used almost as often when talking about quantum entanglement (pairing) as it is big for encryption. My quantum professor always liked to use them for examples.

ceezyr likes this.
  8. alainreid

So, I'm no scientist, but I think the thing that ruins the practicality of entanglement is there is no "god mode" available to the observer, or rather there's no way to check the data without changing the state and effectively sending data back the other way.

9. alainreid

10. Thor The Pink

Entanglement is extremely practical for security. As in people are currently working on real world implementation.

ceezyr and Dstraktd like this.
  11. Donald Draper

Donald Draper Well-Known Forum Member

I'm somewhat amazed that this thread has gotten even nerdier than adults playing video games. Well done gentlemen.

pach, Dstraktd and Thor The Pink like this.
  12. alainreid

I got accepted but no key or link email yet.

13. alainreid

Can you link me to something?

14. pach

pach Well-Known Forum Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018