Old fucks talking bout the old days...

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by pach, Sep 28, 2018.

1. pach

pach Well-Known Forum Member

So i just had this idea when reading some shit and im drunk so i thought itd be good to post here. basically give a lil story bout any game you played a long time ago thats a good memory and maybe we can join in.

Of course I'll begin.

Got the idea from some reddit thread, and some dude was talking about Minecraft when it first started. I was into 4chan at the time and I remember when it was a browser prototype and holy fuck buggy but we put hours into it. No one knew it was gonna make that dude a millionaire, no one knew the potential, but fuck we built and destroyed and trolled and good christ basically broke the game when it hit /v/. Now some of these folks have kids who are obsessed with it. Shit, it's kinda embarrassing to admit I played that shit before some these kids were born. it's a good memory though.

i got more but i wanna hear yall.

(((((((edit bout the title, I know i'm young to yall just go with it)))))))

2. PongQ

PongQ Well-Known Forum Member

When I was young - grade school young - my dad would occasionally take me with him on bowling night. Men bowled on Thursdays so it was a school night. The bowling alley had pool tables for the non-bowlers, but one day it got an upright console Pong game. It took quarters just like pinball, but if you look up a picture of one https://goo.gl/images/QbN2yV you can see the knobs are mounted on a metal plate. If you rubbed your shoes on the carpet and then touched that plate, you got a static shock that the game registered as a credit and you could play for free. (Kids are terrible. Damn thieves I tell you.)

Eventually, enough arcade games came out that the bowling alley dedicated a room to them and it was the first video game arcade in the area. It is crazy to look back at all those early games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, Tempest, Missile Command... and think we pumped quarters into them over and over. I could retire on all those quarters if I still had them. The bowling alley's arcade was always packed even when a standalone arcade ("Gamesville", no shit) opened across the street.

3. trizznut

trizznut Well-Known Forum Member

Not a video game story.....when I was about ten I went over to a friends house and his dad had a bumper pool table. We spent damn near every day that summer shooting stick. Doubt we followed the rules but was Fun as hell and now that I’m remembering I wouldn’t mind buying one for my house.

4. Donald Draper

Donald Draper Well-Known Forum Member

A few NES memories...

Setting the world long jump record by jumping off of the power pad (also breaking the 100m record by using your hands to hammer the mat).
    [​IMG]

Excitedly opening the Power Glove, only to be sorely disappointed with its performance
    [​IMG]

Plugging in a second controller to fly the ducks in Duck Hunt.

Going to see the Wizard for a sneak peak at Super Mario 3.

Last, but not least, my favorite NES memory. I got chicken pox and had to stay home from school. My parents bought me Super Mario Brothers, assuming (correctly) that I couldn't scratch the pox with hands glued to a controller. When I entered the first water stage and learned I could throw fireballs underwater, my mind was blown.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Forum Member

Bubble Bobble was life
    [​IMG]

6. lousypirate

lousypirate Well-Known Forum Member

I had an atari 2600 at my house and my grandparents house, but i remember the day i got a ps1. Wrestlemania. Doink the clown, bam bam bigelow, and the sumo guy. Dad played against me for a few weeks until he realized he was no match for his 6 year old son.

The tomba/tomba 2 and spyro series never left the console for a long time. Really miss playing that original tomba, should download a rom of it since that one holds up more than the grainy 3d of tomba 2.

My favorite was still my gameboy/gameboy advance. Hundreds to thiusands of hours playing the pokemon series and the dragon warrior series rereleased as well as the dragon warrior monsters. Those dragon warrior games kicked pokemon’s ass in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Had the pokemon yellow edition

And a great many of those hours played hiding under my bed sheets with a blob light attachment
    [​IMG]

7. pach

damn first time i saw a game boy color my mind was absolutely blown. complete sorcery at the time

Dstraktd likes this.
  8. Dstraktd

Dstraktd Adminstigator Staff Member

I had a R.O.B

edit: found a link of it in action. I think there was only one game for it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Wolfman likes this.
  9. trizznut

trizznut Well-Known Forum Member

I don’t remember how to post pics... but I had the magnifier that attached to the gameboy. At the time that was considered a significant upgrade.

Dstraktd likes this.
  10. lousypirate

lousypirate Well-Known Forum Member

I wonder if i could even play on a gameboy color or pocket with the meat cleaver of hands I’ve got.

Dstraktd likes this.
  11. NutZ

NutZ Founder

[​IMG] my original setup

Dstraktd, lousypirate and PongQ like this.
  12. alainreid

alainreid Forum Member

There's a Japantown in San Francisco. I was wondering around and found a store with a superfamicom or something which had Super Mario Brothers 3 playing on it (and this was before the Wizard movie). I played the game and when school started after summer nobody would believe me that you could switch characters or run to the left.

Also, I had bubble bobble on the C64, though that second disc drive in the photo nutz posted looks like a C128 drive.

13. pach

[​IMG]

I think this was my very first game experience. I spent a lot of time at my dad's work (a research institute) and had access to some fancy computers.

Dstraktd likes this.
  14. PongQ

PongQ Well-Known Forum Member

15. Scruffy the Janitor

Scruffy the Janitor Well-Known Forum Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. Dstraktd

Dstraktd Adminstigator Staff Member

What about Lemmings?

PongQ likes this.